Al Bsharah Business Minded, Technically Inclined

BlogEngine 1.6 Released – Quick Start Help Guide

B

BlogEngine LogoBlogEngine 1.6 was just released with substantial SPAM Filtering and Comment Management upgrades.  As well, a number of bug fixes and other new features have been included such as Multiple Widget Zones.

You should follow this upgrade process, but I’ve also added my own summary of the steps I took below.

  1. Make a backup!
  2. Copy your live web to a test web, if you have the ability to test on another URL.
  3. Download the 1.6 files on top of the 1.5 installation.
  4. Delete the ExtensionsManager folder.
  5. Change permissions on App_Data and Web.Config.
  6. If you were using Akismet before, delete the Akismet Extension (leave the new AkismetFilter Extension)
  7. Copy your original 1.5 .xml files from the App_Data folder back into the new 1.6 folder, but take care not to overwrite or delete anything new that was added.  Additionally, make sure you MERGE the settings.xml file as there were additional settings added.  The bottom line on this step?  Analyze the directories and file data to assure you’re not losing anything that was added in (and required for) 1.6.
  8. Recycle or restart the web site
  9. Log in
  10. Go to the Extensions admin tab
  11. Disable the “Commentor” Extension if you were using it before (it’s now a part of the core)
  12. Enable the AkismetFilter Extension (if you were using Akismet before, make sure to enter your account information)
  13. Go to the Comments admin tab
  14. Under the Configuration sub-tab, update your settings the way you wish!
  15. Test your theme and other settings thoroughly (make sure you check your CSS in the upgrade process provided by the BE folks)
  16. If all’s well, copy the temporary site to your live site and re-test!

Enjoy the new system.  I’m curious to see if I’ll need to re-add the CAPTCHA Solution, or if this new build will mitigate most SPAM.

How has your upgrade gone?

About the author

Al Bsharah

Al’s been involved in multiple San Diego startups since 1999 after leaving the Detroit auto industry as an electrical engineer. He's started two of his own companies where he's raised capital from both VCs and angels, and sold one of them to both Seismic and Return Path. He resides on the board of Startup San Diego, is a Tech Coast Angels member, and has graduated both Techstars and Founder Institute accelerator programs where he now mentors. Al is currently the Vice President of Product Strategy at Seismic and in his free time he manages to play a little beach volleyball, trade stocks, and camp with his wife, son, dog, and friends.

9 comments

  • Thanks for your information about upgrading to Blogengine 1.6. It helped me. It was pretty smooth except mistake from my end regarding mysql upgrade queries.

    I am able to set up stuff on my test environment. Going to release it on production tonight.

  • After new installation, I get "Comments" tab in admin panel. When I click on "Configuration" sub-tab I get following error..

    Raw Url : /blog/admin/Comments/Settings.aspx
    Message : Exception of type ‘System.Web.HttpUnhandledException’ was thrown.
    Source : System.Web

    Also, SociableBE doesn’t show up in Extension list.

    I would appreciate if you can help me with that.

  • Hey Leo,

    I’m not sure why you’re having the issues you are with BlogEngine and the SociableBE extensions. However, I can point you in the right direction to help get support:

    For BlogEngine issues, please visit their forum here:
    http://blogengine.codeplex.com/Thread/List.aspx

    For the SociableBE extension, I’d go to one of these two places:
    http://gordon-breuer.de/page/SociableBE-Extension-for-BlogEngineNET.aspx
    http://sociablebe.codeplex.com/Thread/List.aspx

    Hope this helps…best of luck to you!

  • I think problem might be doing your Step 7 guideline wrong way at my end. Could you please clarify?

    #7 Copy your original 1.5 .xml files from the App_Data folder back into the new 1.6 folder, but take care not to overwrite or delete anything new that was added. Additionally, make sure you MERGE the settings.xml file as there were additional settings added.

    I think I might have made mistake here. I will try to do steps again. Please look at following steps and correct me if I am wrong.

    Step 1: Copy "only" all .xml file from 1.5 App_Data folder and overwrite into 1.6

    Step 2: "but take care not to overwrite or delete anything new that was added." – I am Confuse here… I think this is the place i have made mistake. What does that mean?

    Step 3: Merge settings.xml from 1.5 into settings.xml of 1.6 right?

  • Hey Leo,

    I modified Step 7 a little bit. I’m just saying to make sure you don’t delete files that are new in 1.6, and you don’t over-write settings that are new in 1.6. Compare your directories, and compare the data in your files (in particular settings.xml).

    Hope this helps!

  • Hey Buddy,

    Got comments issue resolved but I had to modify some code.

    File: admin/Comments/Settings.aspx.cs

    Following method were throwing NullPointer exception so I had to add try and catch within method body.

    protected void BindFilters()
    protected void BindCustomFilters()

    Looks like it is throwing error loading Filters. I am not sure if it is .Net 2.0 issue. My blog is running on 2.0

  • I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!

By Al Bsharah
Al Bsharah Business Minded, Technically Inclined