BlogEngine 1.6 was just released with substantial SPAM Filtering and Comment Management upgrades. As well, a number of bug fixes and other new features have been included such as Multiple Widget Zones.
You should follow this upgrade process, but I’ve also added my own summary of the steps I took below.
- Make a backup!
- Copy your live web to a test web, if you have the ability to test on another URL.
- Download the 1.6 files on top of the 1.5 installation.
- Delete the ExtensionsManager folder.
- Change permissions on App_Data and Web.Config.
- If you were using Akismet before, delete the Akismet Extension (leave the new AkismetFilter Extension)
- Copy your original 1.5 .xml files from the App_Data folder back into the new 1.6 folder, but take care not to overwrite or delete anything new that was added. Additionally, make sure you MERGE the settings.xml file as there were additional settings added. The bottom line on this step? Analyze the directories and file data to assure you’re not losing anything that was added in (and required for) 1.6.
- Recycle or restart the web site
- Log in
- Go to the Extensions admin tab
- Disable the “Commentor” Extension if you were using it before (it’s now a part of the core)
- Enable the AkismetFilter Extension (if you were using Akismet before, make sure to enter your account information)
- Go to the Comments admin tab
- Under the Configuration sub-tab, update your settings the way you wish!
- Test your theme and other settings thoroughly (make sure you check your CSS in the upgrade process provided by the BE folks)
- If all’s well, copy the temporary site to your live site and re-test!
Enjoy the new system. I’m curious to see if I’ll need to re-add the CAPTCHA Solution, or if this new build will mitigate most SPAM.
How has your upgrade gone?